Pageviews

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Holiday Blues

Well everyone it is quickly becoming that time of year.

I know for many of us...even though it is a joyous time of celebration, it can be depressing. I myself, in past years, have used booze among other substances to try and cope with the 'holidays'. Once you get on that ride it can become even worse.

The reasons for holiday melancholy can be many. Financial, due to the pressure and commercialization of the Holidays and feelings of being lonely are just a couple of possible factors. Being disabled on top of it all can just be another weight added to the load.

There is no silver bullet to cure being down sometimes, but there are things you can do to get some relief. In combination, a few things can be very helpful

I honestly have found one of the best cures for the 'blues' is to keep yourself occupied.

Keep working out! There is really no excuse not to exercise. If you are travelling just about every hotel has a fitness center. Motels have stairs (ten times up and down those puppies and you have a pretty good workout in). I have even been know to stop my car during a trip, change and jump out onto the access road for a quick three miles. Calisthenics in your living room can be done by anyone. You can exercise no matter what stage you are as an amputee. I am pretty sure most of us were shown some type of exercises to do by a therapist or nurse one time or another? The point is to be creative and not settle for being miserable.

Another great thing to do is surround yourself with people. If you are away from family, you still are not alone. There are several amputee support groups in the Texas area, actually all over the country. I will post some national and Texas links below. I have attended all of the Texas groups I'm posting a time or two and they are great people. In fact I may try to make it to the Austin,TX group party, if I can.

I know it can be tough. In the end your personal happiness is up to you. Happiness, like so many other things in life, is a state of mind. I wish everyone the best over the Holidays.

I am going to try and post a video about Amputee Cycling Techniques before Christmas.

Cheers!



Illustrated Amputee Exercise Sites:


Lower Extremity Amputee Exercises

Balance Exercises

Low Level Exercises


Amputee Support Groups:

Round Rock/Austin TX Amputee Support Group Frieda Borth.

Austin, TX Amputee Support Group - Laura Grulke email: lhgrulke@yahoo.com

San Antonio TX Amputee Support Group - Mona Patel email: anayapatel2002@hotmail.com

Houston, TX VA Amputee Support Group - Betty Baer, (713) 794-7793 or Stacy Flynn at (713) 791-1414, ext. 4441

ACA National/Internation Support group Listing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive