Pageviews

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Every Day Is Exactly The Same

I am not sure about you but I remember saying things like "I hate my life" and "why me" at certain times before. At other moments I've thought things like 'life is so boring' or 'nothing is new and exciting to me' or 'I've tried it all'.

You know what? Since I became an amputee I have rarely thought those negative thoughts or felt life was unexciting. You would think the exact opposite would be true? Undoubtedly my circumstances have become much more adverse and challenging since losing a limb.

I don't know what it is exactly? Maybe something deep inside has caused me to be more positive to help overcome the situation? Maybe I just gained a deeper appreciation for life after nearly losing it? I really can't say.

The only way every day is the same is if you let it become that way. There are many things you can do to add variety to your life and keep it fresh. There is my old favorite exercise, which is a great way to keep you physically and mentally in shape. Studies prove that exercise can improve your life on all kinds of levels. The natural chemicals that your body releases while involved in exercising helps your body in various ways. Your joints, muscles and brain all get a dosage of healing and mentally stimulating chemicals from your body naturally. There is also the traditional benefits of weight loss, cardiovascular improvement an so fourth.

Routine is yet another method to help add spice to life. I know it sounds contradictory, because we often think of routine as boring. I prefer some routine in my life, because the structure helps keep me grounded. By changing things up you can also keep them exciting. When going to the gym and working a certain muscle group(s) you can switch up the exercises you do. Little things like changing reps or going from machines to free weight is actually very beneficial because it stops your muscles from getting used to the same movement. If you go into the gym and do the same exact thing all the time your body will adapt and you will get bored. This routine switching method can be done with different types of exercise as well. When riding my bike I purposely take another route and try to get lost, it helps freshen up the experience. Maybe I will see something I never have before? Maybe I will know to never go that way again?...lol. Often when I go for a run I will go to different places. One day I may stop by the beach if I am close. Another time I may go to the park and 'people watch' while I enjoy my trot.


Another way to keep things interesting is to check out different viewpoints. Maybe watch MSNBC instead of FOX News one night or vice versa? Maybe listen to AM talk radio instead of NPR all the time? Listening to someone you always agree is pleasant, but what are you really learning? Maybe if you listen to both sides you might get the full story. I have sat through many 'documentaries' that I totally disagreed with and thought were so biased before. There were actually a few points brought up that I probably never would have considered had I not bothered to check it out. If something makes you uncomfortable, it just might be causing you to think? At the very least you can try to understand why a person may feel a certain way. I think you need to add mental and physical variety to your life to keep growing.

The very best way to appreciate life is to be thankful. Everyday at some point during the day (usually toward the beginning) I purposely make a point to count my blessings. All I have to really do is just think about the time in my life I was unable to walk to realize how lucky I am. I also know I have been blessed with the best gift in the world...the ability to cause others to be thankful as well. At some point during the day a person is going to see me peddle a bike up a hill, run by them in the park or walk past them on the street and they are going to say "what is my excuse to be bummed out" or think 'if that was me could I do it?'. Total strangers tell me all the time I inspire them. I imagine I have been the topic of conversation along the lines of "honey you will never guess what I saw today?" a time or two. Yells out the window from cars, the thumbs up or comments like 'go bionic man' are usual scenes of my daily experience.

Despite all of this I do have bad days. I actually run across individuals in my life that have gone out of their way to try and ruin my positive energy. Even some I felt that have tried to destroy my life and livelihood. I try my best to be thankful when this happens as well. There is a lesson in everything. Maybe I need to change something about myself? Maybe this person needs help and this is their way of asking for it? Of course if you make nothing but friends everywhere you go you are probably spineless and have no opinion about anything.

What I do know is that there is a lot adversity in all of our lives. If it was easy it wouldn't be life. Can you imagine the torment our ancestors used to go through just to do something as basic as eat at one time? All I know is that I no longer 'hate my life' in fact I am grateful for each day that I get a chance to get up, get out and live. There is no more 'why me?' Instead I say 'it could be worse' or 'it has been worse before'. Challenges, while still being uncomfortable are more about learning than feeling sorry for myself.

What I am trying to convey is that life can seem boring, harsh or even meaningless at times and that there are certain things you can do to combat these feelings.

You control your destiny. Life is what you make of it.

Until next post. Ty

2 comments:

  1. Proverbs 3:11

    My son, despise not the chastening of Jehovah;12 For whom Jehovah loveth he reproveth;13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,14 For the gaining of it is better than the gaining of silver,15 She is more precious than rubies:16 Length of days is in her right hand;17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her:19 Jehovah by wisdom founded the earth;20 By his knowledge the depths were broken up,21 My son, let them not depart from thine eyes;22 So shall they be life unto thy soul,23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way securely,24 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid:25 Be not afraid of sudden fear,26 For Jehovah will be thy confidence,27 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due,28 Say not unto thy neighbor, Go, and come again,29 Devise not evil against thy neighbor,30 Strive not with a man without cause,31 Envy thou not the man of violence,32 For the perverse is an abomination to Jehovah;33 The curse of Jehovah is in the house of the wicked;34 Surely he scoffeth at the scoffers;35 The wise shall inherit glory;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came very close to deleting the previous comment. While I encourage anyone to leave remarks and feel the writer had good intentions, I am not sure this is the proper forum?

    That being said I have recently made personal efforts to explore creation and the Creator. I think it is highly unlikely we are all here just by some accident.

    I definitely believe in miracles...I see them every day.

    Also I don't get a lot of comments...lol.

    I feel each person's definition and relationship with God is just that...highly personal.

    Even the most complex minds in the world have had vague proof on creation no matter which side of the argument they have fallen on.

    Happy exploring!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive