Pageviews

Monday, August 22, 2022

Amput33Cast 23 - What Took You So Long

 

Well it has been a crazy few weeks! It has been an emotional roller coaster trying to decide what to do about my career.


Intro Music - Song Of The Day The Cars - Heartbeat City  Jackie, What took you so long? I thought you knew the way?




I quit my job. This was a really tough decision, but it wasn't. What I mean is the decision was easy,because I knew it was the right thing to do. I could not be part of something I did not believe in. The tough part was walking away from the security of a steady pay check from a job that I specifically moved out here to take. 

Over the last few weeks I have updated my resume & pursued many different job options. I have had a few job interview. I actually was offered a couple of positions. None of them seemed like a great fit or career type of position. That being said you do have to make money & get those bills paid.

In the interim, to get some money coming in, I started doing Uber Eats as a side hustle. I have done really well at this gig. I made over $1500 dollars over the last 9 days of work. Yep I worked 9 days in a row. After not having a paycheck come in for a couple of weeks I needed to make up for some lost time. For this last week I brought in over a $1000. For me this is pretty decent money or definitely enough for me to make ends meet. Don't get me wrong I have busted my butt! Some days I put in over 12 hours & worked some early mornings and late nights.

There are many pros and cons to the position. I address many of them in the video. You must be willing to walk a lot, get out in the weather, interact with people from all walks of life (including those working in the restaurants & those you deliver to), driving in crazy traffic and sometimes driving in unusual areas. It is unbelievable how many different types of restaurants are located in some of the most unusual places in the New Orleans area.

To be honest it is just about the right amount of physical activity for someone like me. It is exercise, due to the walking, occasionally climbing stairs, and having to transverse uneven surfaces at times. At the same time it is not so physically demanding that it is hard to do. As an amputee some days your prosthesis hurts, what many calls "bad leg days". Even those who walk great and are super physical can have challenging days with their prosthetic at times. Having a job that is physically hard, day in and day out, could be quite daunting for those with two legs sometimes, let alone those of us that only have one. The beauty of the side hustle is you can work when you want to and for as little or long as you want to as well. 

I certainly still plan on pursing a career in the prosthetic field. I will continue to attend support groups and volunteer when I can. I plan on sending resumes out to different companies throughout the country. Fortunately for me I have the ability to be quite mobile so relocation would not be much of an issue for me. 

Speaking of relocating...I am thinking about taking to the road this next coming month. I may see about getting some camping gear and doing a little traveling. I really have not had much of a vacation in a very long time. I figure I can probably do the Uber thing no matter where I am at. 

We will see. Hope you are well. Thank you for taking the time to check things out.

I mentioned having an 8 Track Tape Player                                                                                            They were actually considered state of the art audio at one time.


#LuvLife #amput33 #AttitudeIsEverything




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive