Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Advanced Amputee Cycling

Firstly, I wanted to take a minute and say thanks to all whom have checked out this site. I just passed the over 6,000 unique viewers landmark recently. I have only been keeping this blog for a little over a year now and knowing someone uses it once in a while is a great feeling. My latest instructional video also got over 600 hits in less than a months time! So, to say the least, it has been a landmark of sixes for me recently.

Seeing how the 2011 Tour de France is well underway I have become inspired enough to finish my series on Amputee Cycling. I have completed 2 instructional cycling segments. One series on 'Getting Started Cycling' that shows how to use a stationary spin bike and another on regular 'Everyday Cycling'. The last piece I have been planning to do has been on 'Advanced Cycling'. The advanced series will concentrate on using a road bike as an amputee. The series will be geared toward the amputee that would like to take cycling to the next level.

As I have always said cycling is one of the exercises that was instrumental in my recovery. Riding a bike was something I could sink into that helped me build confidence, improve overall health, work the range of motion in my residual limb, and so much more. It was also something I often could do as well as other "able bodied" individuals.

Speaking of the Tour de France, it has been a nail biter so far this year. My predictions appear to have some validity. George Hincapie has not won a stage yet, but has been looking very strong. The 16 time TDF competitor has done a remarkable job leading out for teammate and yellow jersey contender Cadel Evans. I am still looking at things to fall into place for Hincapie in a stage win.

Alberto Contador is not out of the running for yellow, but he is having a somewhat difficult tour. Last year Contador got ahead and then rode the wheel of his main rival. This year going into the mountains the Spaniard must make up a lot of crucial time. Gaining time in the mountains is often nothing new for yellow jersey hopefuls. Usually the sprint and flat stage type of riders have an edge and then fall behind once in the mountain stages of the race. This year due to crashes Contador finds himself behind other cyclist known as climbers. It should be a very interesting week.

Mentioning crashes, there have been some horrific wrecks this year, especially in stage 9. Dubbed as "The Tour de Carnage" by the media and "The Tour de Crash" by Tour announcer Phil Liggett there has been no shortage of downed cyclist this year. As witnessed by this unnerving WRECK Footage . Believe it or not both riders finished the stage! That is one reason why I find this race so epic. Can you imagine the courage and determination it must have taken to finish after a wreck like that?

Very sorry to take up so much of this blog talking about the TDF. It is such a roller coaster ride and test of human endurance. I encourage you to check it. The mountain stages are awe-inspiring. The first mountain stage starts

I hope to finish up the 'Advanced Cycling' segment by next blog. I plan on getting some video in the can this week. Once done with cycling I plan on putting together something on 'Amputee Running'.

May you be able to dig deep and reach the finish when the time calls - Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive